The International tasting competition “2017 Russian Union of Viticulturists and Winemakers’ Cup” held in the framework of the annual All-Russia Winemakers’ Summit in Abrau Durso is considered the most authoritative national winemaking contest assessed by the world’s leading wine experts.
Fanagoria has won the following rewards:
- Grand Prix, the title of Russia’s Best White Wine 2017 – A Hundred Shades of White. Chardonnay Fanagoria 2015
- Gold medal – Cru Lermont Chardonnay 2015
- Silver medal – Cru Lermont Riesling 2015
- Silver medal – A Hundred Shades of Red. Saperavi 2015
- Silver medal – Blanc de Blancs Brut Fanagoria 2016 (Charmat method)
Vladimír Pukis, Fanagoria PR Director: “In Abrau Durso, all stands were crowded, including ours. If before the prizewinners were announced, many would ask us about our ‘platinum Saperavi,’ after the announcement the [new] best Russian white wine, A Hundred Shades Chardonnay 2015, became the soloist”.
Two international judges – Robert Joseph from London and Darrell Joseph from Vienna – traditionally highly evaluated our extension line A Hundred Shades, and said that if the quality of Fanagoria classic sparkling extra brut fully corresponded with its shelf price, the quality of our Charmat brut Blanc de Blancs was by an order higher than its modest price (about 450 rubles). It was so good that Robert Joseph did not hesitate to come to our dinner table once again later that evening to show a thumb up and say: “Your Charmat brut is something”!
By the way, for three times in a row our Blanc de Blancs Brut has been receiving silver medals at the Chardonnays du Monde tasting contest held in Burgundy.
The jury panel for the RUVW Cup consisted of a number of leading international and national wine experts:
- Stephane Derenoncourt, French oenologist, consultant of Bordeaux wineries
- Attilio Scienza, Italian oenologist, Professor of the University of Milan
- Anatoli Korneyev, Executive Director of the Russian Sommeliers Association
- Nicoletta Dicova, Italy/Bulgaria, wine writer, a sought-after expert on natural and biodynamic wines
- Robert Joseph, UK, founder of Wine International and International Wine Challenge.
- Darrel Joseph, Austria, independent expert specialized in Central and East European wines
Yevgeni Romanishin, Fanagoria Commercial Director: “The summit in Abrau Durso is an interesting and important ground for all Russian winemakers. The fact that Minister of Agriculture Aleksandr Tkachev and head of the United Russia’s State Duma faction Sergei Neverov attended the event is evidence of us being seen and heard, which in its turn opens up new prospects for the advancement of the Russian winemaking industry. Grand Prix is an important and valuable prize for every employee of Fanagoria, because every wine is the result of hard work of the whole team. My congratulations to all our colleagues”!